Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Slam by Me

Fragile Glass Wall

Let's talk about women.
I know everyone's got them on their minds,
I know we all got them in our hearts,
And if you are a woman,
you got it all over the place.
Now I'm not saying just any old girl.
Not just that woman you saw,
Strolling the sidewalk,
Running and sweating,
Her i pod headphone wires danging,
bouncing along with her.
No, not her.
The one you saw at the hardware store,
The one with the blond hair
Up in pig tails,
Soft white skin shimmering
in the glow from the lighting department.
The one that you might as well
Put a lollipop in her mouth
Just because it seemed it belonged there
The one you might as well put a wall up in front of
with a sign that reads,
“You can look, but don't you dare touch.”
But you know in reality that even looking
will get you in just as much trouble.
But if somehow you do manage to break through.
Slam, shatter and just destroy that glass wall,
You know you'll be able to see her vicious grin
reflected up at you in every single piece.
So men,
be sure to have your broom and dustpan ready,
So you can clean up any mess that you might make.

Explaination:
For my created piece of art, I have decided to come up with my own slam poem. Doing this was an easy task, as Slam Poetry is really just saying what's in your head. Of course I didn't just write it and it was done, I needed to tweak it a bit here and there, but essentially that's all there was to it. It was actually pretty fun. I don't think I'll be preforming it on stage anything soon though. Simply my poem is saying that guys these days always go for the girls they know they can't have, the ones who are simply out of their league. They ignore the “normal” girls, and spend their time drooling over the super models. In reality though, these goddesses aren't even right for them. They may be snobby, or selfish, or just plain rude. From a distance though, the girls are just works of art to the men and that's ll they see. Then before they know it, they can be stuck in a horrible relationship regretting their decision. The work could be described as a Slam Poem because I have taken something from society, and took a little stab at it, let my opinion about it out there. I tried placing the lines so that you might be able to get a feeling from it by just reading it, rather than it being preformed. (I don't think I have the voice for that.) I hope you enjoy it. :]

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    I am impressed...in many ways.
    ...& I do think you have the voice for it, especially after hearing you read "The Wussy Boy Manifesto" the other day.

    ReplyDelete